Sunday, November 18, 2012

Simple and Sweet Sugar Cookies

Tis' the season for sugar cookies, decorations and little extra helpers in the kitchen. 
We came home from church today and it was one of those, "I-feel-like-baking -days". The first thing that came to mind were these sugar cookies. This recipe was given to me by my Auntie Kathy. She is one great cook, and I love all her little treats too. This is a fool proof recipe and I LOVE IT!
Ingredients:
2/3 C. butter, softened (or 1.5 sticks)
3/4 C. Sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. Almond extract
4 Tbsp. milk
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 C. flour - ADD LAST - 
Butter, sugar and egg into a mixing bowl
Cream butter, Sugar and egg

Once creamed, add the extracts, milk and baking powder, then mix again.
Once mixed, add the flour, and mix again.

Place your dough on a floured surface
Roll out and cut.
I had my little helper with me.
Cut, and place on baking sheet. I use parchment paper on mine.
Bake at 350 for about 8 min. 
These are how mine look when I bake them. I like mine SOFT, and so I don't cook them long. Maybe only 8 min. The thicker the cookie, the longer the cooking time...maybe only by a minute though.
Next, let the cookies cool.
Then prepare the frosting/glaze.
In a small bowl mix together:
2 Tbsp butter softened (not melted)
2 C. powdered sugar + 1 tbsp
2 Tbsp. milk
1/4 tsp. Vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. Almond extract
Here's your final sugar cookie.
Don't go and buy the pre-made sugar cookie dough at the store. Try this first.

Have fun making them...that's what counts.

Recipe courtesy of Kathy Crockett (my food-tastic auntie)

No comments: