I have had this fetish with "salted caramel" desserts lately.
I've wanted to learn how to make my own caramel or to just sample salted caramel recipes.
So, this is the one I found that looked OVERLY tempting.
I found it on the website, Sally's Baking addiction.
I HAD TO TRY IT!
These were AMAZING. (...and I only had a bite)
(you'll have to forgive me, I do NOT have STEP by STEP pictures for this recipe)
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar.
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole milk or heavy cream (do not use fat free milk or even 1% milk)
THICK, SALTED CARAMEL FROSTING:
1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp. salt
1-3 cups powdered sugar (you'll beat in 1/2 cup of powdered sugar in at a time to the consistency that you want)
additional pinch of salt
MELTED CARAMEL DRIZZLE:
one bag of caramels, unwrapped (about 50)
1/4 c. heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners. Set Aside
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugars together at a medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla. Beat until combined. Slowly mix in the dry ingredients until NO flour remains, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Slowly stir in the milk. Do no over mix the batter.
3. Fill each cupcake liner about 2/3 full, dividing the batter between all 12. Bake cupcakes for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool before frosting, about 1 hour.
4. While the cupcakes are cooling, melt the butter in a small saucepan. Once melted, add brown sugar and heavy cream. Stir constantly over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Add salt. Allow to bubble for 3 minutes, no more. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature, about 30 min. Do NOT place in refrigerator to cool.
5. Put cooled caramel sauce in a medium sized bowl. Using a HAND MIXER a medium speed, beat in powdered sugar (1/2 C. at a time) until you reach the desired consistency. Add a pinch of salt is the frosting tastes too sweet. **If the frosting becomes too thick, add a 1/2 tbsp. of heavy cream.
6. Frost cooled cupcakes. Set aside.
7. In a medium pan over low heat, melt the caramel candies along with heavy cream and stir constantly.
Once melted, drizzle the caramel sauce over the frosting, and adorn with a pinch of coarse sea salt.
(Cupcakes can stay fresh in an airtight container for up to 5 days)
Recipe courtesy of: http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2013/01/10/triple-salted-caramel-cupcakes/