Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Cinnamon Honey French Toast


Tonight, I made my Homemade bread for my boys....Buuuuut, it didn't stop there. 
We had one of his friends over after school today, and I distinctly remember Asa (Mason's friend) saying how much he LOVED French Toast!

So, I knew EXACTLY what I wanted to do today; Make bread and then make an awesome rendition of a hearty and sweet french toast.

I looked online and found this recipe from Alton Brown, and changed it just a little bit.

Ingredients:
1 C Whole Milk (I'm sure Fat free would work just fine too)
3 large eggs
2 Tbsp. honey (warmed in the microwave for 20 seconds)
1/4 tsp. salt
6 (1 inch) slices of a thick bread (Alton's original recipe calls for day old, or stale country loaf, brioche)
1 tsp. cinnamon

In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, honey, cinnamon and salt. Pour this mixture into a pie pan and set aside.

Preheat oven to 375, and prepare a griddle to 375.

Dip bread into mixture, allow to soak for 30 seconds on each side, and place on a hot griddle. Cook all 6 pieces of bread for 2-3 min each side. (To allow a nice crunchy layer to form around the outside)

Remove from Griddle and place on a rack in the oven. (What I did was get another rack and placed it on a cookie sheet that had sides on it. It allowed for the french toast to continue to brown underneath and bake within)

Once all the french toast were in the oven, I let it all cook for an additional 15 min, until I saw each piece of bread slightly bulge (which meant the eggs and milk were cooking completely inside the bread)

Once fully cooked, serve immediately with fresh fruit, maple syrup or whipped cream.
As Josh and the 2 boys (Asa and Mason) were eating, they all kept saying...."Mmmmm delicious!"

SCORE!!! This now is going on my food blog!
Recipe courtesy of Alton Brown, foodnetwork.com



No comments: