Saturday, February 9, 2013

Banana and Toasted Coconut Cupcakes

Here's my version of "Banana Bread"
I've always loved making savory breads...Banana, Zucchini, Chocolate...etc. (I'd like it even more if I could eat it...that's okay....7 more weeks and I'll bake me and my teammates a TON of these, after our show)
But, I've LOVED playing with the traditional banana bread recipe and adding my own things and taking out what I don't want. 

So....Here's MY version! 

Ingredients:
1/3 C Butter (softened)
3/4 C sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 C. Raisin Bran (I remove the raisins)
1/2 Tbsp. Flax seeds (if you don't have these, no big deal)
1 1/2 C. Flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
4 (medium to large sized) bananas
2 Tbsp water
1 tsp. Vanilla
(makes 12 cupcakes + 14 mini bite cupcakes) or (16 cupcakes)

Cream Butter, sugar and egg.
Add in the 1 C. Raisin Bran and  1/2 Tbsp. flax seeds.
In a separate bowl:
stir together  1 1/2 C. flour, 2 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. baking soda.
Add Flour to creamed butter mixture, then MIX
Mix well. You should see that it'll be a bit chunky looking.
Then you'll need 4 VERY ripe bananas.
Add to mixture.
Blend well, then add 2 Tbsp. water
Then, add 1 tsp. Vanilla
Get your cupcake pans ready.
I fill up a DOZEN cupcakes
...then I use the rest to make MINI bites.
Bake 350 for 23 min.
You can put BOTH pans in together and remove the mini bites after 18 min. or so (just check with a toothpick)
Leave the bigger cupcakes in until about 22-23 min. (periodically check with a toothpick)

Once done. Let them COOL.
Make the Cinnamon Vanilla Frosting:

In a small bowl mix together:
2 Tbsp butter softened (not melted)
2 C. powdered sugar + 1 tbsp
3 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp. milk
1/4 tsp. Vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. Coconut extract
(if you want it a bit thinner, add milk. If you want it thicker add a little more powdered sugar)
Time to toast your own COCONUT!
Super easy.
Place shredded coconut on baking pan.
Place under a broiler.
Watch carefully, and continue to stir.
I will slowly toast to....
.....Perfection!
Frost the "Cooled" cupcakes with the Cinnamon/Vanilla Frosting.
Dip in toasted Coconut.
And...
ENJOY!!!

So, there you have it.
My version of the age ol' banana bread!

No comments: