Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Buttermilk and Sour Cream Corn Bread

I was making my sisters curry cauliflower soup tonight, and wanted a hearty and warm side dish to go with it. I wanted to make a cornbread. I didn't want to use the "Jiffy" box and just add this or that, I wanted to go all out and make a delectable corn bread from scratch.
I did just that. I found this recipe from Giada DeLaurentis (from the food network) and wanted to try it. There was another one from Paula Deen that looked amazing, but I felt like all my hard work doing Insanity would be undone with that ONE recipe. I chose Giada's. Hahaha!!
Ingredients:
1 stick chilled butter (1/2 cup)
2 cups yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup all purpose flour
6 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/4 cups Buttermilk
1/3 cup sour cream
2 large eggs

Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees. Butter a 9x9x2 in. metal baking pan. (I used glass)
Blend the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a food processor for 5 seconds. (I used my Blendtec Blender and it seemed to work just fine too.)
Add the butter cubes. Blend until the butter is reduced to tiny pieces, 15-20 sec.
Whisk the buttermilk, sour cream and eggs in a large bowl to blend.
Mason INSISTED on helping! (i actually LOVE it when he wants to help)
Then add the dry ingredients from the blender or food processor.
It should look chunky at first.
Then work on getting it pretty smooth.
Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake the corn bread until the top is golden brown and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 25 min.
Cool the bread on a rack for at least 30min.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
I served ours with butter and honey!

Enjoy!
Recipe Courtesy of Giada Delaurentis (foodnetwork.com)