Tuesday, October 23, 2012
Thai Shrimp Bisque
2 C brown rice, prepare as usual and keep warm
1 lb uncooked, tail-on medium shrimp
1 TBS vegetable oil
¼ C sliced green onions OR regular onion, chopped
1 inch piece peeled and grated fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, pressed
2 TBS cornstarch
1 TBS sugar
2 TBS Hoisin sauce (found in Asian section of grocery)
1 tsp salt
1 TBS tomato paste
1 tsp curry powder (to preferred taste)
dash of cayenne pepper (optional, can be slightly spicy already from the ginger)
2 C chicken broth
1 can lite coconut milk (or regular)
fresh lime juice, to taste
8 oz sliced mushrooms (or less if desired)
1 can plain diced tomatoes, drained (or 1 C diced fresh tomatoes)
2 TBS snipped cilantro
1. Clean and remove tails from shrimp, set aside.
2. Heat oil in a medium pot. Add onions, ginger and garlic; cook and stir 2-3 minutes.
3. Stir in cornstarch, sugar, Hoisin sauce, salt, tomato paste, curry and cayenne.
4. Gradually add broth, coconut milk and lime juice. Bring to a boil.
5. Add mushrooms. Simmer 3-4 minutes.
6. Add tomatoes; simmer 3-4 more minutes.
7. Add shrimp (at very end...like 3-5 minutes before you think you'll be eating) and cook for 3-5 min.
8. Ladle into soup bowls; top with hot cooked rice and snipped cilantro.
Recipe: Courtesy of Melanie Redd