Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Butternut Squash Soup

Okay, okay.... Don't laugh. I was reading "RedBook" magazine 
and I stumbled upon the recipe section within the magazine. 
I quickly skimmed through the ingredients of "Kelly's Butternut Squash Soup"
and realized just HOW easy this soup could be. 
I also noticed the base was a vegetable stock and coconut milk. 
Even better!
Ingredients:
4 tbsp Olive Oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 medium onions, diced small
2 large butternut quash (2 lb), peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
2 small yukon gold or russet potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes (I used 4 small yukon)
8 cups vegetable stock or water (I actually used chicken stock)
2 cups canned coconut milk (I used lite)
salt and pepper to taste

This recipe makes 12 servings. Each (1 cup serving): ~210 cal.
Heat oil in a large stock-pot over medium-low heat.
Add garlic, onion and a pinch of salt, stirring until translucent, 3 to 5 min.
Add squash.
Add carrots and potatoes.
Add stock.
Bring to a BOIL.
Lower heat to a simmer and cook 25-30 min,
or until vegetables can be easily pierced with a fork.
Remove from heat and add coconut milk.
Puree soup with a blender. 
Season with salt and pepper.
I garnished my bowl of soup with 4 oz. grilled chicken.
This is a great soup.
Easy. Simple and very delicious!
Recipe courtesy of: Redbook Magazine p.24; Kelly Osbourne, "Kelly's Butternut Squash Soup"

No comments: